What in the world is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and how in the heck can it help you, as an author? Simply put, SEO gives your website visibility during a search.
As an author, it is a great idea to write SEO friendly content when designing your webpage. How do you do this? Well, once again, I’ve found the answer for you (and I need to give thanks to the great article written by Jennifer Kyrnin: http://webdesign.about.com/od/seo/a/seo_content.htm).
- Write relevant content. Search engines have ways of recognizing when a page is not really about what it might seem to be about. If you’re playing games with your content to try and fool search engines, it will eventually be found and you’ll lose rank or even be banned. It’s much better to write content that is relevant to your topic.
- Put conclusions at the beginning. Another way to think of this is that you want your keywords to be denser towards the top of your article. If your page is about snow leopards, then the first mention of snow leopards should be in the title and first sentence. Don’t start using synonyms for your keyword phrase until the second or third paragraph.
- Use lists instead of paragraphs. Lists are easier to get your seo content into without your repetition seeming strange.
- Make your links part of the copy. This is especially important if your links include your keyword phrases. If you’ve linked to the Snow Leopart Trust on your snow leopard page, make sure that you link the words “Snow Leopard Trust” and not something unrelated like “click here”.
- Include internal sub-headings and they should include your keyword phrase. Use heading tags for your sub-heads, and repeat your keyword phrase.
- Proofread your pages. It doesn’t do any good to focus on the keywords “snow leopard” if you spell it “snow leopart” once or twice on the page. Plus, the spelling and grammar errors make your content look unprofessional, so people are less likely to link to your page.
And of course I will give a plug to my own business here which happens to be Guru Publishing (www.mrgurupublishing.com). We offer assistance that you can’t find anywhere else; not only publishing, but marketing assistance. And I don’t mean that we give you the tools to market. I mean that we do the marketing for you. Really!
And you thought I was only playing around here! 😉 (Evin – http://www.mrgurupublishing.com)